Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Black and White

You walk into my life; a demigod,
a chanting dervish with a crooked smile,
a boorish sort of man, a pompous prig.

You! Prefer your solitude to laden quarrels,
hiding behind French cognac, and
fine cigars.

You defer the indefinite you and I,
for confrontations you deplore.

Instead, you prefer to hang our fragmented
souls in a hidden gallery of black, and white;
in the deep recesses of your psyche.

Unsuspecting, you clomp, and whittle at the
protective underbrush of my downcast heart,
with heavy boots.

You stand amongst the men folk with
a pretentious smirk of victory…
across your face.

And I stand mystified… with aching heart.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Thanks for this one, Ms. D.! My only comment--I hate that heavy boots ever made it to "the poet's" heart.

There are new words out there...

A Recipe for Freedom By M. Castlewood I took a long drag off my Marlboro cigarette, and then a liquefying gulp of my whisky, then another g...